The holiday season is typically a time for family and family and pondering all the blessings that are ours. And fire sprinklers are not typically among the things that most people take time to count as “blessings.” However, if not for the fire sprinkler system at Bloomingdale High School, that community would quite possibly be mourning the loss of the beautiful building currently undergoing renovation.
Around 9 a.m. on Christmas morning a small fire started in the school’s media center, apparently caused by faulty wiring in a security light. After the light’s supports were burned through, the light crashed to fabric chairs below it. The chairs caught fire and just as catastrophe seemed imminent, the fire sprinklers discharged and the fire was contained. Though there was some water damage within the Media Center, no classrooms were touched by the fire, and classes resumed on schedule in Hillsborough County. This system is maintained and serviced by Cox Fire Protection, who is also participating in the major renovation of Bloomingdale High School with Allstate.
Ironically, just the week before, firefighters in Ponte Vedre Beach, Florida responded to an emergency call at 2:45 a.m. from Tournament Players Club at Sawgrass. Upon entering the building, SJCFR spokesman Jeremy Robshaw indicated that the firefighters entered a banquet storage room which had water and smoke coming from under the door. A fire apparently started in a laundry bin, and inside, they found that the sprinkler system activated and heavy smoke, but no fire. Again, the facility experienced some water damage, but the lovely Country Club stands intact, and largely untouched by the fire. This system was designed and installed by Evans Fire Protection, Cox Fire’s Jacksonville Branch, with Clark Construction, based in Tampa.